This savoury side dish has become a staple in my house. Not only is this dish loaded with nutrients (vitamins A, C and K), fiber and anti-cancer glucosinolates, but it's incredibly easy and quick to make. This side dish can be made with either red, white or savoy cabbage and whatever type of onion you have hanging around.
Cabbage, especially red cabbage, is one of my favourite veggies to keep around the house. It is definitely an underrated veggie in my books. Its longer shelf life makes it a great vegetable to buy ahead of time and keep in the veggie crisper for a few days without any worry of spoilage.
- 1/2 medium red cabbage, chopped (about 4 cups)
- 1 medium onion (red or white), diced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2-3 tablespoons white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons caraway seeds
- 1-2 tablespoons water (optional)
- Saute diced onions in pan with olive oil over medium heat.
- When onions are translucent, add cabbage. Saute cabbage for several minutes before adding vinegar. Add caraway seeds.
- Continue sauteing until cabbage softens. If pan appears a bit dry, add 1-2 tablespoons of water and cover for a few minutes.