As summer winds down and the cooler weather approaches you may just start craving a warm bowl of soup. This Smokey Sausage, Lentil, and Chard Soup is a wonderfully satisfying dish to add to your arsenal.
The lentils and vegetables provide a great source of fiber to help stabilize blood sugars and keep your hunger at bay for a little longer. The smoked sausage adds a satisfying element to this soup that will keep you making it again and again.
For the vegetarians out there, try replacing the sausage with a teaspoon or two of smoked paprika, to get the same smokey flavour as the original soup.
- 1 cup of dried lentils (yields about 2 cups cooked lentils)
- 2-4 smoked sausages (200-250g)
- 1-2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large or 2 small red onions, diced
- 2 large carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 cups raw cauliflower, chopped
- 4 Roma tomatoes, pureed
- 2 teaspoons cumin, ground
- 1 teaspoon coriander, ground
- 4 cups water
- 1 large or 2 small bunches of chard (or other leafy green), finely chopped
1. Cook dried lentils in about 2 cups of water until soft. Set aside.
2. Puree washed tomatoes in food processor and set aside.
3. Slice sausages into half moon shapes and fry. Remove from pot and set aside.
4. In the same pot, saute garlic and onions in olive oil until onions translucent.
5. Add carrots, cauliflower and spices and saute for another few minutes.
6. Add pureed tomatoes and 4 cups water and simmer until vegetables are soft.
7. Add lentils, sausages and finely chopped chard to the pot. Cook until chard is wilted.
Makes 4-6 servings.