This must try salad combines peppery watercress, sweet pineapple, creamy avocados and hearty black beans to provide a dish that is rich in potassium and folate, and a good source of protein, fiber, calcium, vitamin A and C. It will soon become a family and company favourite.
2 bunches (about 8 cups) watercress, chopped
2 medium avocados, cubed
2 cups black beans, cooked
1 medium pineapple (about 3 cups), cored, cut into either slices or chunks
1 tablespoon (15ml) sugar
¼ cup (60ml) extra virgin olive oil or grapeseed oil
2 tablespoons (30ml) fresh lime juice
2 cloves garlic, minced
¼ teaspoon (1ml) cumin, ground
¼ teaspoon (1ml) black pepper, ground
1. Preheat broiler and prepare the pineapple. Place cut pineapple on baking sheet and sprinkle with sugar. Broil for about 10 minutes or until edges of pineapple turn golden brown. Once broiled, set aside to cool.
2. Wash, dry and chop the watercress. Discard any tough ends.
3. Prepare the avocados. Remove pit and peel, and chop avocado in bite sized cubes.
4. Whisk together the oil, lime juice, garlic, cumin and pepper to make the dressing.
5. Coat cubed avocados in 2-3 tablespoons of the dressing to prevent browning.
6. Combine watercress, black beans and pineapple and toss with remaining dressing. Gently fold in the avocados and serve.
Makes 4-6 servings.